Whisky's in Glasgow's Blood
Whisky runs through the city's industrial heritage like the River Clyde itself. Which is why our gleaming new Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distillery at the Queen's Dock has a touch of the inevitable about it. From here at the Pumphouse, the heart of Clydeside today, Customs & Excise kept a watchful eye on exports of liquid gold. Turns out, our ancestor, John Morrison, built this very Dock in 1836 while he was busy building half the city. One whole generation before our family discovered whisky. John also had a hand in raising Loch Katrine, whose pure soft water goes into making Clydeside Single Malt Whisky today.
The Pumphouse (bottom left) photographed on 24th March 1950.
The Clydeside Distillery is located within the Pumphouse building which once controlled entry into the famous Glasgow Queen's Dock. The Pumphouse was originally designed to provide hydraulic power to operate the swing bridge, servicing the commercial dock which witnessed the export of whisky with ships destined for all continents of the world.
THE CITY WAS ONCE HOME TO COUNTLESS DISTILLERIES, BLENDING HOUSES AND BONDED WAREHOUSES, BOTTLING PLANTS, COOPERAGES, MALTSTERS AND OTHER ASSOCIATED BUSINESSES. THE FIRST DEDICATED SINGLE MALT DISTILLERY TO BE BUILT IN GLASGOW FOR OVER A CENTURY, CLYDESIDE DISTILLERY, WILL CELEBRATE THE SIGNIFICANT ROLE THAT WHISKY HAS PLAYED IN SHAPING BOTH OUR CITY AND SCOTLAND AS A WHOLE, WHILE PUTTING GLASGOW RIGHT BACK ON THE SCOTCH WHISKY MAP.
Our family believes in making things well. It's why we've brought together the best of the old and the new at The Clydeside Distillery, using traditional techniques for making our exquisite new Clydeside Single Malt Scotch Whisky. The craftsmen distil our spirit by hand, using all the senses. We know from experience that this time-honoured method is the best way to create a beautiful new make spirit. Watching our craftsmen working also makes a visit to Clydeside Distillery one of the most interesting things to do in Glasgow today.
OUR MEANDERING FAMILY HISTORY OF DISTILLERIES IN SCOTLAND
Our ancestor Stanley P. Morrison was born. He became one of Glasgow's most successful whisky brokers and laid the foundations for Morrison Bowmore Distillers.
Stanley P. Morrison helped establish T. William Walker & Co and soon after purchased whisky merchant A.D. Rattray.
Stanley P. Morrison partnered with Robert Lundie and set up a whisky brokerage.
The partners purchased the prestigious Aberdeen-based Chivas Brothers.
Following an apprenticeship at Dalmore and other distilleries, Tim Morrison joined the family business, followed three years later by his brother Brian, expanding into blending, distilling and exporting Scotch whisky.
In the Grand Central Hotel, Stanley P. Morrison overheard rumours of Bowmore Distillery for sale; he bought it the same day.
Stanley P. Morrison purchased Glen Garioch in Aberdeenshire.
Tim and Brian Morrison purchased Auchentoshan Distillery.
Tim Morrison purchased A.D. Rattray, launching a new range of unusual and exclusive bottlings.
Brian Morrison purchased The Scottish Liqueur Company and established Morrison & MacKay.
The Clydeside Distillery opens: Tim Morrison fulfils his ambitions of reviving distilling in Glasgow, helping to restore the Dock his great-grandfather had built.